TTV - Last Night - Tilak


నిన్నరాత్రి
      దేవరకొండ బాలగంగాధర తిలక్

 

Last Night
       Tilak



Tell me this,
Last night, when God came and sat on my bed,
Looking at me sorrowfully with lowered eyes
I didn’t say anything, did I?

Gnawed by hunger yet sustained by pride,
Failed in everything and committed suicide,
I didn’t ask Him about that young man, did I?
Her youthful bloom for sale, her tired life a burden,
The young prostitute who hung herself at twilight,
I didn’t tell Him about her, did I?
News of her young son in China war (1) crushed,
In total darkness, into the river the old mother rushed,
I didn’t show Him her crushed heart, did I?
In Congo and Cuba, in Cyprus and Lavos,
Burning, stinking, timeless stories of mankind’s worries
I didn’t reveal all that to Him, did I?

Tell me, really.
About you and about me,
About the evil in the whole creation,
About the venom filling up
In the silent beautiful heart,
Did I ask him to tell the truth? Accuse Him? Hold Him responsible?
I know, I know (2)
The real weak link in the chain.
I know, I know
Tears rolling down mournfully down God’s cheeks
When I saw in the lamplight, I got up in pity,
I hugged Him, consoled Him,
Wiped the tears,
Went with him till the end of the lane, and bade him farewell.
I know, I know
When even human turns demon and defiant,
Poor old guy – though sire He is - what can He do?
*****
Some observations:
(1) Tilak seems to have generally been badly affected by war – he wrote a lot of poems with war and its destructive nature as background. Judging from the dates of these poems, some of these refer to WWII. Moreover, he seems particularly disturbed by the China war – mentions it specifically in several poems. This poem was written in 1965.
(2) This and the next few lines are strongly reminiscent of SreeSree’s style (“ounu nijaM ounu nijaM, neevannadi nijaM nijaM”) – however, the theme, the tone and the compassion are entirely Tilak’s.

Hope you liked it.
Comments welcome

Comments

దేవరకొండ బాల గంగాధర తిలక్ అమృతం కురిసిన రాత్రి నాకు చాలా ప్రీతిపాత్రమైన కవితా సంకలనాలలో ఒకటి.
శ్రీ. శ్రీ తరువాత కంఠోపాఠంగా చదివినది చిన్నప్పటి నుండీ తిలక్ నే. తిలక్ కథలన్నా కూడా చెప్పలేనంత ఇష్టం.
నిన్నరాత్రి కవితకు మీ అనువాదం ఆడియో విన్నాను. అభినందనలు.
nsmurty said…
Swamy garu,

War has been the constant refrain those days and SriSri and Tilak, perhaps, have seen the consequences of war from close quarters if not exactly involved in it directly. All reasonable minds shun war no doubt, and poets of that period expressed it powerfully... the present one in particular.
Suresh Kaja said…
the theme, the tone and the compassion are entirely Tilak’s
Kottapali said…
I apologize for the irritating sound "watermark". Let me see if I can create a version without it.
Kottapali said…
I uploaded another version of the recitation without the audio mark. Hope this is better. Thanks
Anil Atluri said…
It still does, the audio mark. :(
Anil Atluri said…
It's not there anymore, the audio watermark(?).
Good.
Thank you.

If you don't mind let's know how you decide to render a particular poem.
You have a young voice.:)
Kottapali said…
దయతో కామెంటిన అందరికీ నెనర్లు.

అనిల్ గారు, మంచి ప్రశ్నే అడిగారు - పద్యాన్ని పైకి ఎలా చదవాలి? నా గొంతు కొంచెం లేతగా ఉంతుంది. గంభీరంగా ఉండదు. ఈ పద్యాన్ని ఫలాని విధంగా చదవాలి, ఇక్కడ ఆపాలి, ఇక్కడ వొత్తి పలకాలి, ఇక్కడ స్వరం తగ్గించాలి అని ముందుగా ప్రణాళిక వేసుకున్నది లేదు. నేను నాటకాలు వేస్తుంటాను కాబట్టి పద్యంలో వినబడే గొంతుని పట్టుకునే ప్రయత్నమేదో కొంత అప్రయత్నంగా జరిగిపోతుంది. అదికాక ముందు పద్యాన్ని ఒకటికి నాలుగుసార్లు మనసులో చదువుకుని మళ్ళీ పైకి చదువుతాను. ఒక్కో పద్యానికీ నాలుగైదు వెర్షన్లు రికార్డు చేసిన సందర్భాలు కూడా లేకపోలేదు. ఏదీ ఏమైనా పదాల పొందికలో అంతర్లీనంగా ఉన్న సంగీతాన్ని పట్టుకోవాలని నేను నమ్ముతాను.
Tilak is my favorite poet. your English rendering is very near to the original.Thank you for remembering Tilak/
తిలక్ ని గుర్తుచేశారు. మీ స్వర౦తో వినిపించడం చాలా బావుంది. ధన్యవాదాలు.
మాలతి said…
కొత్తపాళీ, నేను తిలక్ కవితలేమీ చదవలేదు కానీ మీ ఇంగ్లీషు కవిత మాత్రం చాలా చక్కగా, ఒరిజినలే అనిపించినట్టు చదివించింది. అభినందనలు మనస్ఫూర్తిగా.
మాలతి
Kottapali said…
మాలతి గారు, మీరామాత్రం మెచ్చారంటే పర్లేదన్నమాటే :)

గోపాలకృష్ణగారు, జ్యోతిర్మయి గారు, నెనర్లు.
ఇంకో రెండు ఉండాలి తిలక్ వి అనువాదం చేసినవి. త్వరలో వెలువరిస్తాను.
"The young prostitute who hung herself at twilight,"

తిలక్ కవితలో యీ భాగాన్ని నేను కొంచెం వేరుగా అర్థం చేసుకున్నాను. "సంధ్యలో" అంటే "జీవనసంధ్యలో" అని. అంటే ఉరితీసుకున్నది యవ్వనంలో ఉన్న వేశ్య కాక యవ్వనమంతా అమ్ముడుపోయి, అలసిపోయి, ముసలితనంలో ఉన్న వేశ్య అని నా భావన. మరి "సానిపడుచు" అన్న పదం సంగతేమిటంటే, అది వ్యంగ్యంగా అన్నమాటని అనుకున్నాను.

"This and the next few lines are strongly reminiscent of SreeSree’s style (“ounu nijaM ounu nijaM, neevannadi nijaM nijaM”) – however, the theme, the tone and the compassion are entirely Tilak’s."

నిజమే. కాని అక్కడ మీ గొంతులో నాకు కాస్త శ్రీశ్రీ ఛాయలే వినిపించాయి. :-)
Kottapali said…
కామేశ్వర్రావుగారు, interesting. ఈ సందర్భంలో ముసలిదైన వేశ్య అనే భావం నప్పదు అనే నాకు ఇప్పటికీ అనిపిస్తున్నది.